May 18, 2022
Humidifiers in Greenville, WI

People are not safe from electrical accidents, even if they have basic knowledge about electricity. Young children are particularly vulnerable to electricity due to their curiosity. Baby-proofing a home against electricity should be a top priority, especially when a family has young children under the age of five. Following these tips will help you keep your family safe from the dangers of electricity that could occur in and around your home.

1. Install an RCD Safety Switch

One of the most common causes of electricity-related injuries is electric shocks from poorly maintained or older electrical equipment. You can protect your house from such hazards by installing an RCD safety switch. This switch will shut off the flow of electricity to a power outlet if there is a fault. Once you have installed an RCD safety switch, take care not to overload your circuits as this will ruin its function.

2. Replace Damaged Power Outlets

Power outlets can become dangerous over time and are not safe to use. You can reduce electrocution risks by replacing old power outlets with new ones. Keep in mind that when you install new outlets, you should make sure to use electrical tape around all exposed wire connections when installing the new outlets. After replacing the outlets, you can also purchase childproof outlet coverings. These coverings will help ensure children can’t insert any objects into the outlet that could lead to electrocution.

3. Secure Your Power cords

Power cords can become a source of hazards if not properly put away out of reach of young children. The most basic means of securing power cords is to wrap them around a piece of wood that has been secured to a wall. If you prefer, you can purchase brackets from a hardware store that allows you to secure cords out of reach.

4. Repair Old or Frayed Wiring

Another simple way to prevent electrical accidents in your home is by repairing old or frayed wiring. Old and damaged wires are more prone to short circuits, leading to electric shocks. If you find that a specific part of the wiring in your house is worn or frayed, you should replace it as soon as possible. It is best to reach out to a skilled electrician to replace your wiring.

5. Insulate Your Wiring

Another way to keep your home safe from electrical dangers is by insulating the wires that power your appliances and other electric equipment. Make sure you don’t use materials like cloth or paper for insulation as they can start a fire if they encounter electricity. Instead, cover all wires with plastic or rubber sheaths, or use a conduit pipe to keep them protected and secure.

6. Keep Electrical Appliances or Devices Out of Reach

Electrical appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, and hair dryers pose a danger to young children that may be tempted to play with them. Many children will attempt to insert objects into these appliances during play. If you have young children who may be tempted to play with these devices, ensure you store these devices in a cabinet that is well out of their reach.

7. Always Turn off the Power

You should always ensure there is no power going to devices before leaving a room. Unplug all electrical devices and appliances when you are not using them and place the cords out of sight, like behind the appliance. When children can’t see the cord, they are less likely to be tempted to investigate, which reduces the chances of electrocution. Even if you have unplugged a device, make sure you monitor your children often.

8. Don’t Overload an Outlet

There is no danger in keeping a few power cords plugged into one outlet unless you overload it. If you have too many cords plugged into one outlet, it can overload the wires and cause a fire or an electric shock. Do not mix or match different kinds of appliances either, such as those for AC or DC, unless they are specifically designed for each other. You can also prevent outlets from being dangerously overloaded by using overload protectors to reduce the voltage going into electrical outlets. This will prevent power outlets from receiving too much electrical input and overloading.

9. Don’t Expose Electrical Appliances to Water

Many electric appliances should not be submerged in water or be used near water sources. A few types of appliances, such as televisions, computers, and other sensitive equipment, can be damaged by water. Avoid using these types of appliances in humid kitchens or bathrooms.

10. Don’t Turn on a Plug That Is Out of Order

Don’t turn on a plug that is out of order. If you do, the electricity will be traveling into the outlet at an angle, which can be dangerous and cause overheating or electric shocks. You should also not touch any exposed electrical wires or fittings until someone has had the opportunity to inspect them and ensure their safety.

11. Test Your Outlets

Test your outlets at least once a year to ensure safety. You can easily do this voltage tester. If the outlet is working correctly, the correct voltage should appear on the tester. If you get inappropriate readings, you should have an electrician check the wiring and make repairs.

12. Take Care of Extension Cords

Children often play with extension cords, causing them to be a significant source of danger. You should not leave extension cords exposed and accessible, especially if you have children in your home. Always unplug extension cords when not in use and store them out of reach of children. All extension cords in your house should also be checked regularly for damage. If you have a worn extension cord, it is best to get rid of it and replace it with a new one.

13. Do Not Attempt Any DIY Electrical Work

You should not attempt to do any electrical repair work on your own unless you have adequate training in electricity. If you need electrical repair work in your home, make sure that you hire an experienced professional to do the work for you. You should also never try to fix or repair any electrical equipment that has been exposed to water. Water may still be in the device and could cause electrocution. Reach out to a trained electrician who will help you with all your electrical wiring and repair needs.

Contact Us for Service

Founded in 1956, we are a family-owned and -operated business providing service in Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, Kimberly, Darboy, Kaukauna, Greenville, Fox Valley, and surrounding areas. We are proud members of the Better Business Bureau and the Winnebago Home Builders Association. Our years in business confirm that we provide reliable, expert service to meet our customers’ expectations. If you are experiencing electrical problems, our skilled electricians can help. In addition, we offer cooling, plumbing, and heating, services. Contact Black-Haak today for more information or to schedule an appointment.

company icon